So plantain is apparently known in some circles as ‘raw banana’.
What the what?!
Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought bananas were raw. Does this mean I’ve been eating cooked fruit all along? Have I been living a lie this entire time?
And if plantain is raw banana and bananas are cooked then what is fried plantain? Cooked-bananas-that-are-not-actually-fruit?
My head hurts just thinking about it.
So I’ll just tell you how delicious these were. Crunchy, spicy, sweet, flavourful and other nice adjectives.
They were so good that hubs finished his in about a minute and then reached over a crafty hand to steal one from my plate.
Normally he knows that stealing from my plate is strictly off limits…especially when I have pointy cutlery in my hands.
But these fries were so good that he weighed up the odds of me stabbing him in the knuckles and took that chance anyway.
You’ve got to admire his nerve, it’s not often people steal food from me and live to see another day.
Jerk-style Plantain Fries (serves 2)
- 1 large green plantain
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
- 2 tbsps jerk seasoning
- Peel the plantain (greens ones do not peel easily like bananas. I like to cut off the top and bottom then lightly score it down the side and peel it back). Cut width-ways into rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss these in the jerk seasoning and stir until the pieces are coated.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat.
- Carefully add the plantain. Cook until golden, turning halfway through (mine needed about 2 minutes on each side). Serve immediately.
Like this? You might also like:
This post was also shared at Party Wave Wednesday