Today I have a cautionary tale for you all.
Without going into any spoilers, the moral is this: never leave the supermarket/grocery store without checking your receipt.
The shopping trip began like any other – I navigated around the aisles, tossed a few things into the cart and went to pay.
My bill was high, but it usually is (perks of living in the Caribbean and depending on costly imported foods). I thought nothing of it until I skimmed over the receipt as I pushed the trolley back to the car.
$37! They charged me $37 for 2 grapefruits!
I marched back inside and demanded my money back. The surly girl at the checkout pouted: “Yeah, I put you down as buying 23 grapefruits.”
“Do I look like a woman who buys 23 grapefruits at a time?”
She narrowed her eyes: “So how many did you get?”
And there you have it. Rather than doing the decent thing and just removing the $37 from my bill without question, I was treated as some kind of grapefruit terrorist and forced to wait while they verified that I had in fact bought two and wasn’t smuggling 21 giant red grapefruits about my person.
As you’ve probably gathered by now, this story has nothing to do with today’s recipe but I needed to vent. Please enjoy this cheesy veggie bake while I go meditate, drink chamomile tea and try not to fly into a rage over citrus fruit.
Broccoli & Cauliflower Cheese Bake (serves 4)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- sea salt and black pepper
- Break the cauliflower and broccoli into florets. Steam or boil them for ten minutes then set aside in an ovenproof dish.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the garlic and then the milk, followed by 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Bring to a simmer then take off the heat and whisk in the arrowroot until it thickens.
- Stir in the nutmeg and season well.
- Pour over the vegetables and scatter the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes then serve.
Like this? You might also like: