I’ve done it all in my relatively short life (30 years young!) – from carnivore to vegetarian to pescatarian and back again.
When in the throes of my early meat-eating days, my family and I used to go to a certain pizza establishment (I’m too sickened to even mention the name) and I’d gleefully chow down their Meat Feast Pizza without a care in the world.
Oh how I loved that thing.
Sausage, bacon, chicken and lots and lots of cheese. I was in pre-adolescent heaven.
Of course, now that my eyes have been opened to the perils of processed grains, antibiotic-laced meats and hormone-riddled chicken, I’d rather stick a fork into my eyeball than eat that pizza again.
But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to recreate it.
My version has a grain-free crust that’s made from cauliflower. Yep, you read that right…cauliflower.
It’s ground to a rice-like consistency, mixed with some eggs, almonds and flax seed and hey presto, a workable pizza crust without the wheat.
This is then topped with bacon, ham and a touch of pepperoni.
And of course I didn’t forget the cheese.
It’s the perfect alternative to junky pizza and, if you’ve little ‘uns, will definitely be a hit with them too.
Meat Feast Pizza (makes two large pizzas so will feed 4-6 people)
adapted from Love and Lemons
- 1 medium sized cauliflower, cut into small trees
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground
- 1/3 cup flax seeds, ground
- Grind the cauliflower in a food processor until it’s a rice-like consistency. Whisk the eggs, season, add the herbs, almonds and flax seeds.
- Pour in the ground cauliflower and stir until it comes together. It will be a wet batter but don’t let that put you off. I divided it into two lumps with my hands, plopped one lump onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and smoothed it out til it was about 1/4 inch thick then repeated the process for the rest of the mixture.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes then remove and let cool while you add your toppings.
Meat feast toppings:
(these are for one pizza, double up to coat both crusts)
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- 1/4 white onion, cut into strips
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, cut into chunks
- 1 slice cooked ham, sliced into pieces
- 1 slice cooked turkey, sliced into pieces
- 3 slices pepperoni, sliced into pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Smear the tomato paste over the crust, scatter the onions.
- Top with half the grated cheese. Sprinkle over the meats and top with the remaining cheese.
- Put back into the oven for ten minutes.
Like this? You might also like: