First things first, before we get into the deliciousness of these amazing wraps, I have to give credit where it’s due.
These simple cauliflower wraps are the best, healthiest and easiest to make grain-free tortillas I’ve ever tasted. They’re the brainchild of Empowered Sustenance who really should be given some kind of culinary medal for her services to paleo/primal/gluten-free eating. Also her blog rocks, so go check it out.
And now that sycophantic intro is over, onward with the burrito!
I packed these beauties with shredded pork in a BBQ sauce, added a layer of cheese and sour cream, and went to town. Obviously you can customise them however you see fit.
It looks like a dauntingly long list of ingredients but, if you’ve ever had this type of food before, you’ll know that assembling it is half the fun and the cooking part is minimal.
By way of extra toppings, I’d recommend guacamole, salsa or just some shredded lettuce. The key is not to over-stuff your burrito. A messy burrito is a sad disappointment and life is full of enough sad disappointments as it is.
BBQ Pork Burritos (makes 4)
The Wraps (makes 4)
*adapted very slightly from Empowered Sustenance
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- 4 eggs
- Grind the cauliflower until it reaches a rice-like consistency. transfer to a saucepan, cover with 1/3 cup water and cook on medium heat for 8 minutes until tender.
- Drain the cauliflower really well (I let it sit in a sieve and pressed it firmly with a blunt instrument to get out all the excess water, then I patted it dry with a kitchen towel). Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the eggs and seasonings until it forms a paste.
- Line 4 baking trays with greaseproof paper and, on each, scoop up some of the cauliflower, press down and shape it so it is a round, thin disc (as if making a thin crust pizza). Place the wraps in the oven and cook at 375 for 15-20 mins until dry and pliable. Place on a wire rack to cool so they don’t become soggy on one side.
The BBQ Pork:
- 113g cooked, shredded pork
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsps ketchup
- 2 tsps blackstrap molasses
- 2 tsps hot sauce
- 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Fry over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Add the shredded pork and take off the heat.
- Whisk together the hot sauce, ketchup, molasses and paprika. Spoon onto the pork and onions and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsps sour cream
- Scoop 1-2 tbsps worth of the BBQ pork mixture into the centre of each wrap until it is all used up. Layer with a tbsp of sour cream, followed by a sprinkling of cheese. Roll up firmly and serve immediately.
Like this? You might also like:
This post was also shared at Party Wave Wednesday