A few weeks ago, hubs sent me an email with the subject line: “Can we have this?”
In the body of the email was this recipe for Taco Pie.
Now I hate to refuse hubs anything (if he can put up with my crazy, the man deserves as many pies as his belly can hold) but there were a few things in that recipe that I took issue with.
Namely ‘Taco Bell seasoning” (bleurgh, I’m very proud to say I’ve never eaten at Taco Bell) and the instant mashed potato (speaking as an Irish person, freeze dried mashed potato is an insult to the good name of potato).
So I changed it up.
Instead of a potato crust, there’s a coconut flour one and instead of TB seasoning, I just made my own with some paprika, cumin and cayenne.
It’s a very interesting dinner. I’d never considered taco in pie form before, but it works.
The pie can be a little messy – minced meat doesn’t really congeal together as a proper pie filling should and there are a lot of layers to this – but it was really delicious, and totally worth it to see the contented look on hubs’ face.
*adapted from The Coconut Mama
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Whisk together the eggs and butter.
- Sieve the coconut flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until it forms a soft batter.
- Press this into a greased 9in pie dish. It won’t cooperate like regular dough, that’s ok. Just press it in with your hands until the dish is covered. Prick the base.
- Bake at 375 for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool while you sort out the filling.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 large, white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 tsps paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup lettuce, finely shredded
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion, jalapeno and garlic, add the meat to the pan and cook until browned. Drain.
- Mix in the salsa, paprika, cayenne and cumin. With a slotted spoon, spoon the meat into the pie crust. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Top with a layer of cheese, then lettuce, then the chopped tomatoes. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Like this? You might also like: