I stole someone’s shopping trolley at the supermarket last week.*
In my defence it was genuinely an accident and I was mortified when I realised.
The mishap occurred when I ditched my trolley to dart up one of the aisles (I’m a trolley leaver, I hate having to push the damn bulky thing around). I returned, arms full of asparagus, and dumped the veggies in without checking it was the right trolley.
Twenty minutes later I arrived at the checkout, began unpacking my bounty and realised, with mounting horror, that I didn’t recognise most of what was in the cart.
It seems trivial now but I just about shrank into my hoodie at the time. I was forced to retrace my steps all the way back to the fresh produce section, reclaim my cart (which was still there, forlornly abandoned) and then transfer everything back into it.
I never did find out whose trolley I purloined so I’m sending out a general apology. Sorry random stranger.
Why don’t you come round for dinner one night? I’ll feed you this wholesome spring soup and enough wine so that you forgive me and we can laugh about it.
*For all the American readers, “shopping trolley” = “grocery cart” and “supermarket = “store”
Asparagus, Green Pea & Bacon Soup (serves 2-3)
- 1 med bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 4 slices/rashers streaky bacon
- 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup peas (frozen or fresh, just make sure they’re defrosted if using frozen)
- 1/2 cup milk or cream (optional)
- Fry the bacon in a large, wide-bottomed pan until crispy, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. When cool chop into small pieces.
- Saute the garlic and onion in the same pan (you want to get them sizzling in the leftover bacon fat) for a few minutes until the onion turns golden. Stir in the asparagus and peas.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down the heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and, using a hand blender, process the soup until smooth. Season according to taste and stir in the milk/cream if using.
- Stir in the bacon bits and serve.
Like this? You might also like: