Buy ketchup from the supermarket and you’ll likely get a heavy dose of high fructose corn syrup at worst, and plain white sugar at best.
As with most processed condiments, the label on a conventional ketchup bottle reads like a horror story.
But I’m not about to give up ketchup – what would life be like if I had to eat my chips…*gasp*…naked?! or my homemade beef burgers unadorned with a substantial dollop of delicious tomato-ey goodness?!
If you have ketchup-addicted kids, this is the sauce for you. It’s naturally sweetened with dates and given some delicious flavours with garlic and fresh oregano.
Serve it up with homemade fries and you’re on to a winner.
Garlic Ketchup (makes about 2 cups)
- 6 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh oregano leaves, very finely chopped
- Blend the water and dates together.
- Pour into a small saucepan, add the other ingredients and gently heat until the mixture is simmering. Whisking occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, let cool and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Like this? You might also like: