It’s true that on occasion, when I’m feeling really really wild, I (whisper it)…eat beans!
Beans are a thing of controversy in the health sphere because there’s a camp that says: “put that baked bean DOWN, step away from the bean!” because they believe them to be full of anti-nutrients and unnecessary carbs.
But the pro-bean lobby argue they are a staple of any well-rounded diet, pointing to their high folate, fibre and protein content.
What’s a girl to do?!
In my case, fit them into the diet in small quantities and always always prepare them properly.
By that I mean soaking thoroughly to make them more digestible.
There are so many other battles to fight when it comes to food (ensuring the total obliteration of fast food outlets for one) that I’m not going to quibble over a measly bean. I am a firm believer in flexibility when it comes to your health, and I listen to my body.
When I eat beans it generally says: “ok, that went down fine, go about your merry way” and so I do.
Chunky Black Bean Hummus (makes about a cup and a half)
- 1 1/2 cups black turtle beans, pre-soaked and cooked
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 1 bird’s eye chili, de-seeded (unless you like it really fiery, in which case keep the seeds)
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor.
- Refridgerate until needed (it will keep in the fridge for up to a week).
Like this? You might also like: