This was no ordinary flourless chocolate orange cake.
It was a welcome-home-hubs-from-me-and-Dog flourless chocolate orange cake.
You see hubby had been away for over a week and I was pining. If you’re a regular reader you’ll know that I like to show my emotions through food (ie I’m a feeder) and I wanted something delicious to welcome him back to the household.
Dog was heavily in favour of a rotting bone, but I had the deciding vote and opted for this easy, gluten-free, incredibly moist chocolate cake.
After all, what’s more welcoming than the smell of freshly baked cake as you step through the doorway?
Flourless Chocolate Orange Cake
*adapted very slightly from Nigella Lawson
- 2 small thin-skinned oranges (I went for Navels. Buy organic if you can – you’re using the skins)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup honey
- Put the oranges in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for two hours until soft.
- Remove oranges, let cool, slice open, remove pips and dump everything (peel and all) into a food processor. Blend to a pulp.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the eggs and honey. Sieve in the cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the almonds and mix everything together well to form a runny batter.
- Pour into a greased or lined 20cm springform pan. Bake at 375 for 45 mins to an hour. Remove from tin when cool.
Like this? You might also like: