When I was little, one of our family traditions was to go to the Dublin horse races on Boxing Day (which is odd, come to think of it, because my parents are very anti-gambling).
Scanning through the programme, I’d pick my winners. Without fail, my choices were always based on the jockey’s colours. The prettiest shirt was the one who’d win.
It seems I haven’t grown up that much because I’m still drawn to bright colours – especially in the supermarket.
And you can’t get any more colourful than lovely rainbow chard (even the name is pretty!).
Here it’s sauteed with a few toasted almonds, garlic and onion. It’s a quick, easy and very nutritious side dish.
I’d bet on it every time.
Rainbow Chard with Almonds & Garlic (serves 2)
- 4 rainbow chard leaves, shredded
- 1/4 white onion, finely sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted for a few seconds til slightly browned
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic, saute for a minute til the onion softens.
- Stir in the shredded chard leaves and lemon juice. Let heat for a few minutes until chard wilts. Toss in the almonds. Serve immediately.
Like this? You might also like: