The scare factor of your jack o’ lantern really depends on your artistic skills.
As you can see, mine looks like it’s had a stroke.
But don’t let that put you off as this is a great option for grown-up Halloween parties.
The filling is cauliflower ‘rice’, given a Italian-type makeover with fresh herbs.
It’s yummy, it’s healthy and, if you do it right, it’s creepy too.
Jack o’ Lantern Peppers (makes one)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2-3 florets cauliflower
- 2 green/spring onions
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- Slice the top off your pepper and de-seed the insides. Carefully cut out two eyeholes and a mouth. Set aside.
- Grind the cauliflower in a food processor until it’s a rice-like consistency. It should make 1 1/2 cups of cauliflower ‘rice’.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir in the herbs, garlic and onion.
- Add the cauliflower, stir then add the tomato paste. Saute for 3 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Use the cauliflower mix to stuff the pepper. Then bake at 375 for 20mins.