My morning routine usually goes as follows: have shower, walk sleepy Dog, feed sleepy Dog, feed sleepier husband, grab things in a panic, shove some yoghurt in my face, run out the door.
You’d never guess from that that breakfast is actually my favourite meal of the day.
I’d love to be able to whip up a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and GF french toast but I’d also love to have as many houses as Bono, and that ain’t gonna happen in this lifetime, or any other.
Instead it’s more practical for the non-rockstars like me to prepare something in advance. Something nutritious and delicious that requires absolutely no effort, not even cutlery or plates.
Which brings me to this breakfast loaf – something I can happily wedge into my hectic schedule (as long as it’s post Dog feeding, if I make him wait he stares at me relentlessly and leaves unsanitary piles of drool all over the kitchen floor).
Flax & Raisin Breakfast Bread
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, plus 1 tbsp
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 tbsps plain, full-fat yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- Whisk the eggs, honey, yoghurt and butter together (provided the butter is cool, if you pour it in hot the eggs will coagulate and that’s just gross). Stir in the flax seed.
- Toss the raisins with a tbsp of coconut flour and set aside.
- Sieve the coconut flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until it’s a runny batter. Fold in the raisins.
- Pour into a 9in x 5in loaf tin. Bake at 400 for 30mins.
Like this? You might also like: