Over on the TMBL Facebook page* last week we had an interesting discussion on the merits of bacon in dessert foods.
Somewhere along the way, the situation escalated and I found myself contemplating the reality of making a tasty bacon bar.
My mission was to create a protein bar that was sweet, salty and packed full of nutritious, energy-giving foods.
I think I nailed it.
Just one of these babies would give you enough energy to climb a mountain (unless it’s Everest, I hear the queues up there rival Black Fridays at Walmart).
And they taste pretty amazing too.
I think next time I’ll even make a dog-friendly version because Dog looked so woeful while we munched on bacon treats and he got nothing.
Behind those big, brown eyes I’m quite sure he’s plotting his revenge…I fully expect to find vomit/poop somewhere unexpected soon.
*Click the link to the right of the page and join the fun!
Treacle Bacon Bars (makes 12)
- 12 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 6 rashers/slices smoked bacon
- 2 tbsp bacon fat
- 4 tbsps blackstrap molasses
- Grill or fry the bacon (reserving the precious bacon fat) until well-cooked. Let cool then chop into small pieces.
- Add the nuts, dates and molasses to a food processor. Blend until it forms a paste.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, stir in the bacon bits and 2 tbsps of the bacon fat. The mixture should start to gel together.
- Press into a lined 8in x 8in tray or shallow dish. Freeze for an hour then remove and cut into slices.
- Keep in the fridge until needed.
Like this? You might also like:
This post was also shared at The Healthy Home Economist