When I was at university (or college, as you guys on this side of the pond call it) my roommate confessed to me one drunken night that she didn’t like chocolate.
I was astounded.
Surely everyone likes chocolate, I thought, is she even human?
And I spent the next two years locking my door at night until she moved out (just in case she was an alien with a love of probing human underlings).
There are no such chocolate-hating mutants in the TMBL household.
Here, everyone appreciates the value of a good brownie.
And these brownies are very good indeed. Given a hit of tangy lemon curd swirled on top to offset the rich chocolately yummyness.
I used my brown sugar lemon curd. Nothing tastes as good as the homemade stuff.
Of course life isn’t always conducive to making curd from scratch so, for those times, you can go with store-bought. They tend to sneak in lots of icky additives however, so check the label.
Brownies are awesome on their own of course, but sometimes even brownies want to get a bit fancy.
Lemon Curd Brownies (makes 18)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 large eggs
- 3.5oz/100g dark chocolate (I used 85%)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup lemon curd
- Sieve the coconut flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together in a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate, honey and butter together in a double boiler. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry until it forms a semi-runny batter. Pour into a well-greased or lined 8in x 11in baking tray.
- Gently swirl the lemon curd throughout the brownie mix.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
Like this? You might also like: