If you’re a member of the Primal/Paleo community and familiar with my blog, you’re probably thinking: “potatoes? WTF?” about now.
As I understand it, potatoes are shunned by that dietary group because they’re too starchy and too carby. I’m sure there’s a technical explanation…something to do with their effect on blood sugar or insulin or something.
Whatever, I’m Irish and giving up potatoes is non-negotiable for me.
You’ll have to prise them from my cold, dead hands (we’ll gloss over why I’d be clutching potatoes as I died).
Here I’ve gone for a classic but added a twist by bulking up the garlic and using sour cream on a 1:1 ratio with mayo.
There’s also some chives in there so you can almost pretend it’s a balanced meal in itself.
Sour Cream & Garlic Potato Salad (serves 6-8)
- 7 large eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tsps finely chopped chives
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps sour cream
- 2 tbsps mayo
- 1/2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes for 10-15 mins ’til firm (mine took 10 minutes but I chopped them very small). Drain, season and let cool.
- Stir together the mayo, garlic, mustard, lemon juice and sour cream.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the egg, chives and cooled potatoes. Gently mix in the mayo goo and stir until everything clumps together.
- Season to taste and put in the fridge to chill.
Like this? You might also like:
- Cheesy Potato Scones
- Falafel & Garlic Sauce
- Parmesan & Bacon Sweet Potato Mash
- Garlicky Devilled Eggs
- Garlicky Greens & Lemon Yoghurt Asparagus