You know when you meet someone and there’s that instant attraction that you can’t explain but it’s very real?!
All those longing looks, sudden spells of giddyness and an inability to think about anything but them?
Then, as you get to know that person better, you realise that they have a load of other qualities that you adore too and it goes beyond the initial OMG, I want to see them naked! phase.
Well it’s like that with me and cilantro.
At first I loved it purely for the delicious, aromatic taste.
Then I discovered that cilantro had hidden depths, that it wasn’t all superficial, that our love was real!
Because not only does this wonder herb taste delicious. It’s also rich in the most ignored of all the vitamins – K.
And that’s a good thing because Vitamin K is essential for bone development and brain health.
Cilantro is also very important for detoxing as it helps remove heavy metal build up in the body.
Basically what I’m trying to say is that cilantro isn’t just a fling. It’s true, lasting love on a par with Romeo and Juliet.
Cilantro Chili Dressing (makes about 3/4 cup)
- 3 tbsps fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Blend the first four ingredients together in a food processor until a paste.
- Remove and whisk in the honey and coconut oil.
- Put in the fridge until needed. NB: since there’s coconut oil in the mix, it will solidify a bit when chilled. Just take it out of the fridge, let sit for a few minutes and then give it a good stir. I used the dressing to baste some chicken breasts but it’s also great as a dressing for salsa, salads, any white fish and steak.
Like this? You might also like:
This post was also shared at The Healthy Home Economist.