Things you might not know about purple potatoes: they contain more polyphenol antioxidants than white, they lower blood pressure and they help protect the body against free radical damage.
They also have lots of amusing names for the different varieties such as Purple Viking, Purple Majesty and Lion’s Paw.
I think I’d like Purple Viking to be my superhero name. I could go plundering the Nordic countries in a purple longship.
But plundering works up an appetite so these delicious potato cakes could be the perfect travel snack (how’s that for a smooth segue into the recipe?)
Purple Potato Cakes (serves 2 ie makes 4-6)
- 3 medium purple potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 small, white onion
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsps coconut flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut oil/butter/ghee
- Using a standard box grater, grate the potato and onion into a bowl. Squeeze all the water out of them by transferring them to a colander and pushing firmly so the moisture drains away. It’s imperative that you get them as dry as possible so the cakes hold together.
- Put back in the bowl and generously season. Pour in the egg and stir to make a thick mixture. Sieve in the coconut flour and stir until it starts to come together.
- Grab a handful and form into a patty, repeat until the potato/onion mixture is all used up.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. When it starts to bubble, add the cakes and fry until golden, flip and brown the other side.
- Pat off the excess grease with a kitchen towel and serve immediately with your choice of delicious protein (I opted for a poached egg and some cheddar).
Like this? You might also like: