Liver is icky, no getting around it.
But as I lengthily explained last week, it’s something I really want to include in my diet for health reasons.
When I was little my mother fried it up with bacon and onions but I’d always push it around my plate without eating any.
Then, when I started cooking for myself, it was never even on the radar.
I’m determined to correct that now and I figure the best way to outsmart my belly (which has its own kind of low cunning) is to sneak it into flavoursome foods which might disguise the taste.
These meatballs combine the good meaty tastes of bacon and ground beef with the bleurgh-it-tastes-like-something-pooped-then-died-in-my-mouth taste of liver.
The definitive test was hubs. I decided not to tell him there was liver in his meatballs (he feels the same way I do about it).
Normally I’m not an advocate of deceiving your significant other but this was in the interest of science…or food….whatever, it’s good for him.
He took a bite, then another…and then another. Before I could ask “how are your balls honey?”, he’d devoured the whole plate.
And if that’s not the measure of success, I don’t know what is.
Liver & Bacon Meatballs (makes 8)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/4 lb calf’s liver
- 5 rashers streaky bacon
- 1/2 large, white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Either chop the liver very finely or do what I did and process it in a food processor til mushy.
- Put the ground meat, liver, onion, parsley in a large mixing bowl, season and stir well.
- Fry or grill the bacon until crispy (keep your bacon fat, it’s great for cooking!). Finely chop it and add to the meat mix. Stir.
- Grab a handful of the mix and form it into meatballs.
- If you have time, cover and chill them in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will ensure they retain their shape.
- Grill or broil for 20mins, turning halfway through so they brown on both sides. Alternatively you could fry them in coconut oil, whatever floats your boat!
Like this? You might also like:
- Italian Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Spicy Bacon Meatloaf
- Herb Beef Burgers with Chunky Chili Sauce
- The Surprising Superfood You Need To Get In Your Diet
This post was shared at The Healthy Home Economist.