The internet is a useful tool but it’s also a giant black hole of time-sucking unproductivity.
By way of example, here’s a list of all the things I could’ve achieved this week if I hadn’t been doing the non-physical kind of surfing:
1. Cleaned the fridge. Something smells like death in there and I’m afraid.
2. Cleaned Dog, who smells like he rolled in a big murky puddle where something died.
3. Cleaned my car (are you seeing a pattern here yet?)
Sadly none of the above got done. The fridge still smells (blue cheese, I love you but you do pong), Dog still reeks and it still looks like a homeless person moved into my car.
But it’s all worth it because I get to bring you these links, little priceless nuggets from all the dross I’ve filled my brain with this week.
Let’s dive in before my fridge/dog/car gets any stinkier:
- Honey. It’s one of the best alternatives to sugar out there but are you buying the real thing or a poor subsitute? Real Food Renegade explains why most honey sold in grocery stores isn’t honey at all but a watered down mix of high fructose corn syrup and all sorts of nasty additives.
- And, since we’re on the topic of fake foods, you might want to check your olive oil. Most commercial brands are poor imitations of the good stuff, and can actually be harmful to your health. One of the tips I picked up from this article is to put your oil in the fridge – if it solidifies then you’re on to a winner.
- If you like microwaveable popcorn, you are not going to like this. Factory workers exposed to the artificial butter flavouring are coming down with some serious respiratory diseases. Next time you fancy indulging with your favourite movie, it might be wiser to make your own and add real butter. In fact, done this way, popcorn is one of the healthiest snacks you can eat according to this.
- When I first heard this, I thought it was an internet myth. Turns out it’s true, farmers really are feeding their cows candy. Why? Because those juicy Starburst are way cheaper than corn. Yet one more reason to seek out grass fed meat.
- The Edinburgh Fringe is running at the moment..and if you’re not from the UK that means nothing to you. It’s a big comedy festival held in Scotland every August with some of the UK’s best comedians attending. To have a look at the quality of the comedy, here’s the festival’s top ten jokes (scroll down past the article). My favourite is #2.
- If you haven’t signed the petition against Monsanto’s latest herbicide, why not? Sign (and read about it) here.
- On a lighter note, if you have an animal, you are going to want to click this link. The things us pet-owners put up with, honestly.