The basic elements of a Nicoise Salad are tuna, potatoes, eggs and olives (at least according to the ones I’ve eaten).
This can be pretty unappetising though – seriously, cold boiled potatoes? In a salad?
I love potatoes but there have to be limits…limits people!
And that’s why my version replaces potatoes with avocados. Much heart healthier!
They are a great creamy addition to balance out all that protein.
Eat it from the bowl, put it in a wrap or serve with a green salad. Just make sure it gets in your mouth.
Avocado Nicoise Salad (serves 2-3)
- 1 can tuna (if you can afford it, it’s worth splashing out for a good brand. I used Wild Planet sustainably caught)
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into wedges
- 5 sundried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 ripe, hass avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a bowl, mix together the onion, tomato, avocado and olives.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and garlic.
- Add the dressing to the avocado mix and stir well.
- Stir in the tuna and then the eggs. Don’t mix too much once the eggs are in or they’ll break apart.