I’m all about mixing things up.
Today’s victim is cranberry sauce. That congealed mess served alongside turkey on special occasions.
It’s become a tradition but no-one seems to know why.
I suggest replacing the cranberries with super nutritious goji berries and banishing cranberry sauce back to the culinary hell from whence it came.
With a perfectly roasted chicken (see above for mouth-watering details), this fruity sauce is a nice, light accompaniment.
I will never make cranberry sauce again!*
*I’ve never made it once.
Roast Chicken with Goji Orange Sauce (serves 4)
- 1 3.5lb whole chicken
- 1/2 large, white onion
- 3 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsps butter, melted
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Season and place in a baking tray. Brush the entire bird with melted butter (inside and out) until the butter is all used up.
- Cut the lemon and onion into quarters. Stuff these into the chicken.
- Loosely cover and roast at 420 for 1.5 hours or ’til the juices run clear.
- For the final 30 minutes of cooking, uncover the chicken and place the three rashers of bacon on top of the breast. Put it back in the oven uncovered.
- Let the bird rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- 1/2 cup dried goji berries (soaked in water overnight ’til plump)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 3 tbsps fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsps water
- Put all the above in a pot and simmer for ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth. Serve at room temperature.
Like this? You might also like:
- Nutty Chicken Drumsticks
- Parmesan and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Walnut & Rosemary Crusted Chicken
- Superfood Muffins