This was a salad born of desperation.
Despite planning to serve up a salad last night, I rushed home to find that I’d neglected to buy anything for said salad – save some spinach leaves that were probably fresh when Michael Jackson was alive.
Yeah, I know, first world problems right?!
Still, the thorny problem of our dinner remained and so I threw this beauty together.
It’s a kind of ‘what’s-in-the-cupboards?’ salad which is no bad thing in my book.
Salads don’t have to be artful or complicated.
This one is nutritious, satisfying and completely unpretentious. Well, ok, maybe the dressing (with fresh ginger, lime and honey) is a little pretentious.
What can I say? I’m a classy girl.
So classy in fact that I ate this right from the bowl, smacked my lips together and pronounced it: “the sh*t”.
Carrot, Bean & Toasted Almond Salad (serves 4-6)
- 8oz baby carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted til golden brown
- 1 can small, red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsps EVOO
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 small, inch wide chunk of fresh ginger (about 2 tsps once chopped)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- juice of half a lime
- Put the dressing ingredients into a food processor and whiz until they form a sauce. Set aside.
- Steam (or boil) the carrots for 10 mins ’til tender. Rinse with cold water and leave to cool.
- Once cool, chop the carrots into small discs.
- Add them to the beans and pour over the dressing. Stir well.
- Add the toasted almonds and stir until mixed thoroughly. Serve chilled or at room temp.
Like this? You might also like:
- Carrot and Cumin Soup
- Spicy Quinoa Nori Rolls
- Parmesan & Toasted Almond Grouper
- Sesame, Lime and Ginger Tilapia