Ah summer. How I love you.
Constant sweating, deafening thunderstorms, agonising sunburn and never-ending battles against the bug armies that want to make our house their stronghold, and us their POWs.
In the Caribbean summer is often the local’s least favourite season. Strange I know.
Thankfully, despite the long moany list above, I haven’t quite reached that stage. I still drop to my knees and thank my lucky stars every time sun appears (growing up in the UK’ll do that to you).
So in celebration of summer here is a lovely summery evening type of dish.
I know some baulk at putting mint in savoury dishes but it’s very subtle here. Not overpowering at all and a nice complement to the strong feta and juicy peas.
Goes great with a fresh salad and a chilled glass of wine, not that I’m advocating heavy drinking – that’s not what summer is about. Not. At. All*
*That’s totally what summer is about, bring on the booze!
Garden Pea, Feta & Mint Tart (serves 6-8)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Whisk together the eggs and butter.
- Sieve the coconut flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until it forms a soft batter.
- Press this into a greased 9in pie dish. It won’t cooperate like regular dough, that’s ok. Just press it in with your hands until the dish is covered. Prick the base.
- Bake at 375 for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool while you sort out the filling.
- 4oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups peas (I used frozen and defrosted beforehand)
- 2 spring/green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- salt and pepper
- Whisk the eggs, yoghurt and seasoning together. Stir in the peas, feta and onions.
- Fold in the mint and pour the whole mixture into your pie crust.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 mins til firm. Let cool for a few minutes before slicing up.
Like this? You might also like:
- Feta & Asparagus Frittata
- Artichoke & Goat’s Cheese Quiche
- Garlicky Greens and Lemon Yoghurt Asparagus