Today’s recipe is a hubby special.
And by that I mean he requested it. It’s so rare that hubby makes a specific request when I’m meal planning that I feel duty bound to fufill it.
Plus I love to feed him, so there’s that.The meatballs came together beautifully despite lacking breadcrumbs (I used ground flax seeds as a gluten-free binding agent) and the rich tomato sauce was heavenly – just the right amount of garlic, parsley, oregano and basil blending together, doing their thing.
Feel free to leave out the cream if you’re not a fan of dairy. The wonderful tomatoey taste will still be there.
Italian Meatballs & Creamy Tomato Sauce (serves 3-4)
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsps tomato paste
- 6 large leaves (around 3 tbsps) fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- a handful of fresh spinach
- 2 tbsps EVOO
- 2 tbsps water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsps heavy cream (optional)
- Gently fry the mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, water and herbs.
- Simmer over a medium-low heat for 20 minutes until it forms a thick sauce. If you are using cream, stir it in just before serving.
Meatballs (makes around 9)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and form into small balls about an inch thick.
- If you have time, cover and chill them in the fridge for 30 minutes. If not then cook them straight away but be warned – chilling makes them hold together better.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, turning once so they brown on both sides.
- Serve with sauce.
Like this? You might also like: