Hubby’s birthday is fast approaching and, since I choose to show my love through cake, it’s about time I got started on the birthday feast.
Each year I ask him what he’d like and he gives it some thought, comes back to me and makes a special request (spoiler: it’s usually cheesecake).
This time around we forgot that part for some reason (I blame our advanced age) so I took matters into my own hands and conjured up this delicious torte. Like most of my cooking it’s gluten, flour and refined sugar free.
Of course it’s a special occasion and we could indulge in those things but why bother when there are so many yummy desserts you can make without.
Healthy and delicious are not mutually exclusive!
This torte is a rich fudgy cake made with sunflower seed butter, carob powder and cocoa powder. The marbling effect comes from the cheesecake layer which is basically cream cheese, eggs and a smidge of honey blended together and swirled in.
It’s extremely adaptable too – if you can’t get your hands on sunflower seed butter or carob powder feel free to sub in almond butter and up the cocoa powder.
Chocolate Marble Torte (serves 8-10 or one birthday boy)
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I used the canned stuff)
- 3 tsbps honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsps honey
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- Whisk together the torte ingredients and, when thoroughly combined, pour into a 9in springform pan. Lick the bowl.
- Using an electric whisk or blender, mix together the cheesecake ingredient, beat until smooth. Swirl in the cheesecake mixture onto the torte layer.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until firm. Let cool before serving. In fact it is better after chilling in the fridge for a few hours.
Like this? You might also like: