Today I’m concentrating on an oft-ignored part of dinner – the sides. Much like a good pair of pants, a decent side dish can be the difference between ‘meh, whatever’ and ‘holy cow! that was delicious!’ (I don’t know why pants would be delicious, let’s just move on)
May I present….drum roll puleese….garlicky green beans and asparagus in a lemon yoghurt sauce!
Two recipes, one post – how’s that for efficiency?!
These simple sides were served up with a juicy New York strip in our house.
I’m still a recovering vegetarian so I skipped the meat part and just overloaded on the veg, which was fun but did lead to a severe case of garlic breath.
Even Dog couldn’t look me in the eye.
Garlicky Greens (serves 2-3)
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, shredded (equates to 5 cups)
- 2 cups green beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. When it’s completely melted, add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Add the green beans and kale.
- Cover and fry for a further 5-7 minutes until the beans are tender and the kale has wilted. Add the sea salt.
- Transfer greens from pan to serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan. Serve immediately.
Asparagus in Lemon Yoghurt Sauce (serves 2-3)
- 2 tbsps plain yoghurt
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp butter, melted then cooled to room temp
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- one medium bunch of asparagus tips (about 2 cups)
- Whisk together the yoghurt, lemon juice and zest, paprika and butter. Store in the fridge until needed.
- Boil or steam the asparagus tips for seven mins until tender. Remove and drizzle with sauce.
Begging P.S :I just joined facebook! If you want an easy way to keep up to date with posts as they happen, please go here and like me (at the very least so I can do my best Sally Fields impression: “They like me! They really like me!”)